1. How would you check that a hydraulic braking system vacuum servo is assisting foot brake pedal effort ?
C = feel for an increase in brake pedal movement as the servo vacuum builds up after being emptied.
2. Which one of the following foot brake efficiency ranges should a properly maintained modern four wheeled car
be expected to achieve in an EMERGENCY BRAKING situation on a dry tarmac road ?
B = 80% to 85%
3. A car is accidentally fitted with O/S/F wheel cylinders that have pistons 2.0mm GREATER in DIAMETER than
the N/S/F wheel cylinders pistons. This is likely to cause ?
B = the brakes to pull to the O/S
4. What causes ‘sponginess’ in a hydraulic braking system ?
A = air in the hydraulic fluid
5. Which one of the following is true about hydraulic brake fluid ?
D = it absorbs water
6. Hydraulic brake fluid ?
C = is virtually incompressible
7. Which one of the following is NOT a type of disc brake calliper ?
C = expanding
8. Which one of the following is true ?
C = brake linings can absorb oil
9. Excessive brake disc ‘run-out’ indicates that a brake disc is ?
A = buckled
10. Which one of the following does NOT change the braking effectiveness of a car ?
A = wheel cylinder piston length
11. A track control arm is for ?
B = locating the position of a road wheel
12. What is steering castor ?
C = a steering geometry feature
13. The camber angle setting of a road wheel determines ?
A = the plane of a road wheel in relation to the vertical
14. Steering self centring (or self righting) is mainly produced by ?
D = castor
15. Which unit is a sector shaft a part of ?
B = steering box assembly
16. Which force is a steering column most subjected to in normal use ?
A = torsion
17. Which one of the following determines the amount of steering ‘toe out’ (Ackerman effect) on locks ?
A = steering arm to stub axle angle
18. What is meant by the term ‘ over steer ‘ ?
A = the tendency for a vehicle to steer on a smaller turning circle than is expected
19. Steered wheels tracking adjustment is normally made by ?
D = adjusting track rod length
20. If a steering power assistance pump stops working it will cause ?
C = the steering to feel heavy
21. A transverse leaf spring is one which has its greatest length ?
B = across the vehicle
22. A leaf spring ‘swinging shackle’ is for ?
D = allowing the spring to alter its effective length when flexing
23. A suspension bump stop is for ?
B = limiting suspension vertical movement
24. Which type of shock absorber (damper) is usually used with a MacPherson strut suspension ?
C = telescopic
25. The eye of a leaf spring is for ?
B = attaching a spring to a chassis or body
26. A suspension torsion bar is usually made from ?
B = spring steel
27. When a suspension coil spring is ‘coil bound’ it usually indicates that ?
A = the spring is over loaded
28. What fluid is normally in hydraulic shock absorbers (dampers) ?
D = oil
29. In which direction does a ‘panhard rod’ control suspension movement in relation to a vehicle longitudinal axis ?
A = laterally
30. Which one of the following front suspension system must have TWO combined steering & suspension swivel
joints and TWO pivot joints for EACH front wheel ?
C = double wishbone
Wheels and Tyres
31. Which types of tyre construction have the most flexible side walls ?
C = radial
32. What does a tyre ‘ply rating’ indicate ?
A = load carrying capacity
33. The correct wheel rim diameter for a 185 x 13 size tyre is ?
C = 13 inches
34. Where on a tyre are tread wear indicators located ?
A = in the tread
35. A tyre that is run under inflated will wear more rapidly ?
C = at the tread shoulders
36. What is the approximate voltage produced from ONE CELL of a Lead / Acid battery ?
A = 2 volts
37. What minimum fuse rating is needed for a 12 volt circuit with just one 48 watt bulb ?
D = 4.0 Amp
38. For vehicle wiring, the expression “Earth Return” means ?
D = the vehicle body or chassis is a part of the circuit
39. The beam image pattern emitted by some modern headlamps is determined by ?
A = its lens
40. An alternator has a diode rectifier for ?
D = converting output to DC
Body & Corrosion
41. The corrosion process of steel car bodies is known as ?
A = oxidation
42. Steel car bodies can be protected from corrosion by ?
A = galvanising
43. Which metal is most resistant to rusting ?
D = stainless steel
44. The corrosion of mild steel is increased by the addition of ?
D = salt
45. The evidence of corrosion on aluminium and its alloys is seen on the metal as ?
B = a white powder
46. When a petrol engine is running rich the exhaust gas hydrocarbon (HC) will be ?
A = higher than it should be
47. Petrol is mainly composed of ?
D = carbon and hydrogen
48. The colour of the exhaust gas emitted from a petrol engine that is running very rich is likely to be?
A = black
49. A 4 cylinder petrol engine has an exhaust gas hydrocarbon content of 600 ppm (parts per million). What is the
hydrocarbon content likely to be when a plug lead is removed ?
A = over 900 ppm
50. The CO (carbon monoxide) content of the exhaust gas emitted from a properly maintained non-cat 4 cylinder
petrol engine in good condition is most likely to be ?
A = 3.0%
51. Which one of the following petrol / air mixtures is closest to the theoretical best for the most complete
combustion in a petrol engine ?
B = 15 air units to 1 petrol unit
52. Which one of the following fuels should be used when there is a catalytic converter in the exhaust system ?
C = 92 octane petrol without any Tetraethyl-lead
53. Which one of the following situations is the correct one for measuring the normal ‘in use’ exhaust emissions
from a petrol engine ?
C = when the engine coolant water and sump oil are both at normal working temperature
54. Which is the correct procedure when using an exhaust gas analyser for determining the exhaust emissions
from a V6 petrol engine that has two totally separate exhaust systems ?
B = average the readings from the tail pipes
55. Which element in the atmosphere aids combustion ?
D = Oxygen
56. An exhaust system expansion box is for ?
B = reducing exhaust noise
57. A petrol engine exhaust system catalytic converter is for ?
A = removing certain harmful exhaust emissions
58. An ‘inertia reel’ seat belt is one which ?
B = locks to restrict body movement in a head-on collision
59. A ‘lap’ type seat belt is one which ?
C = has a 2 point mounting
60. Which type of windscreen will crack without shattering ?
B = laminated
I have recently taken my nvq3 in preparation for my mot training.
The staff are very skilled and enjoy what they do.
My tutor was Richard. Very good instructor.. A*
April 22, 2021.
Very professional training course the staff are friendly and helpful i was on the electric vehicle course and found it to be very interesting i highly recommend MTC Training
April 21, 2021.
April 21, 2021.
April 21, 2021.
April 16, 2021.
Richards a fantastic tutor, I passed my MOT course and actually enjoyed it ill be returning for my hybrid course and booking my staff in for CPD assessments every year. Many thanks lads Matt Robinson.
April 9, 2021.
March 11, 2021.
Richard is the man with the knowledge. If you put in the time & effort he will give you his time & effort. A fantastic experience. I am 48 years old & been in the trade since I was 15. & You never know everything. But this lad really knows his stuff. Thanks a lot guys.. i really enjoyed the level 3 & the mot course.. keep up the good work... See you again soon....*****... Mr j c Hartley... 👌👍
March 11, 2021.
I booked for the level 3 mechanic and MOT course. From day one, Richard and Shelly were extremely welcoming and helpful. The tutors were very knowledgeable and the training was thorough. I would highly recommend.