How To Become an MOT Tester
The first thing you need to do is make sure you are eligible:
- Have a current and full UK Driving Licence for the vehicle classes you want to test
- Be a skilled mechanic with at least 4 years full-time employment in the service and repair of the vehicle types to be tested
- A level 3 qualification
- Have no ‘unspent’ convictions for criminal offences connected with the MOT Testing Scheme or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation
- Be ‘of good repute
MOT Qualification Course Overview
The mot tester course, Award in MOT Testing Class 4 and 7, replaces the Nominated Tester Training (NTT) which was formerly run by DVSA. The MOT qualification is for individuals who are serious about becoming fully qualified MOT Testers for cars and vans. This intensive mot tester course will develop your skills around the MOT Testing Routine to help you become a Nominated Tester for classes 4 and 7. You will focus on Working Safely within a Vehicle Test Centre, Working Relationships, Professional Development, Pre-Test Checks & The MOT Test. Using a blend of practical and theory based study we make learning easy by putting in place meaningful assessments that reflect the demands of today’s competitive industry, giving you a solid grounding in key principles and ideas.
Once you have completed your Award in MOT Testing Class 4 and 7, you will need to complete a VT8 Observation, which is the final step in your journey to become an MOT Tester and gain your MOT qualification.
Who is the MOT Qualification For?
The MOT Tester Course, Award in MOT Testing Class 4 and 7, has been developed for individuals who would like to improve their career by becoming qualified MOT Testers for cars and vans.
We offer 3 options for the Award in MOT Testing Class 4 and 7 qualification:
- Award in MOT Testing Class 4 and 7 – 4 Day MOT Tester Course + 2hr Practical Assessment (after 1-2 weeks)
- Award in MOT Testing Class 4 and 7 – 4 Day MOT Tester Course + One to One Coaching & 2hr Practical Assessment
One-to-one coaching, mock assessment and fast track options are available.
Who is This Qualification For?
This qualification is for individuals who want, or need to become MOT testers. To be eligible to undertake this qualification in order to be an MOT Tester, a learner must:
- have a current and full UK driving licence for the vehicle classes they want to test
- be a skilled mechanic with at least 4 years full-time employment in the service and repair of the vehicle types to be tested. (Apprentices who have been employed for 4 years are eligible.)
- have no unspent convictions for criminal offences connected with the MOT testing scheme or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation
- be ‘of good repute’
- and to become a nominated tester (NT) for class 3, 4, 5 or 7 vehicles they must also have an ‘appropriate’ qualification.
Who Might Be Interested in Taking This Qualification?
This qualification is primarily developed for those individuals who wish to enhance their career by qualifying as an MOT Tester. Achievement of this qualification enables them to apply to undertake the DVSA final observed assessment in order to achieve their Certificate of Competence (CoC), enabling them to become a Nominated Tester.
What Will The Learner Study as Part of This Qualification?
The content of this qualification has been designed to reflect the contents of the National Occupational Standards for MOT Testers.
The content of the qualification includes:
- working safely within a vehicle test centre
- communicating with colleagues and customers
- how to manage and maintain their CPD
- carrying out pre-test checks
- carrying out an MOT test